First steps in establishing the Faculty of Administrative and European Studies (hereinafter referred to as FDES) as a higher education institution were made in 2002 when it proved necessary to establish specialised institution which, by preparing professional staff for work in state bodies and organizations, would remove deficiencies that Montenegro had at that time in terms of administrative capacities, and which have not been eliminated so far, though they have been recognized as drawback in the process of integrating our country within EU structures.
The process for the preparation of founding Faculty of Administrative and European Studies was completed three years later when the Agreement on Establishing Institution of Higher Education – FDES was entered into.
A year later, pursuant to the Law on Higher Education, conditions for the enrollment of first generation of students were met, when in March, Higher Education Council issued Certificate on Initial Accreditation number 05-1/5-149, and on 24th May 2006 Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Montenegro issued Resolution number 05-1/5-922 by which FDES was granted license for the following programmes:
- Academic Undergraduate Study Programme of Administrative and European Studies;
- Academic Postgraduate Master Programme of Administrative Studies;
- Academic Postgraduate Master Programme of European Studies.
FDES reaccredited the aforementioned programmes on 15th June 2009 when the Higher Education Council set out Decision number 05-1/5-882 which approved issuing Certificate on Faculty Reaccreditation and which created conditions for FDES to realize its study programmes also for the period of the subsequent five years.
Being aware of the trends accompanying higher education and labour market demand as well, FDES submitted request to the Ministry of Education and Sports for running study programme of specialist studies which would include two-semester continuation of studies after completing undergraduate studies and ultimate obtaining degree of specialist. Conditions for the accreditation of specialist programme studies were met on 1st February 2012 when the Ministry of Science and Sports passed Resolution number 07/680 on FDES work license supplement for organizing the following programmes:
- Academic Postgraduate Specialist Programme of Administrative Studies;
- Academic Postgraduate Specialist Programme of European Studies.
Apart from licenses for organizing and realizing study programmes within undergraduate, specialist and master studies, high quality platform for scientific and research work in the area of public and international law has been created, and thus, on 23rd November 2011, upon request of the FDES, Ministry of Science issued Resolution 01-1735/4 which provides FDES with the license for scientific and research work by means of which FDES becomes recognized as scientific and research institution of higher education.
In line with necessities for development of lifelong education in Montenegro, FDES gave its contribution through development of six programmes where it is obliged to take part as a socially responsible higher education institution. Regarding the quality of those programmes and the entire society need for them, on 26th June 2013 National Council for Education of Montenegro passed the following decisions:
- Decision number 16-3303 laying down importance of the Educational Programme for Acquiring Knowledge and Skills in the Area of Leadership;
- Decision number 16-3302 laying down importance of the Educational Programme for Acquiring Knowledge and Skills in the Area of Rhetoric;
- Decision number 16-3306 laying down importance of the Educational Programme for Acquiring Knowledge and Skills in the Area of Administrative and Judicial Procedures;
- Decision number 16-3305 laying down importance of the Educational Programme for Acquiring Knowledge and Skills in the Area of Inspection Control;
- Decision number 16-3304 laying down importance of the Educational Programme for Acquiring Knowledge and Skills in the Area of Local Democracy;
- Decision number 16-3301 laying down importance of the Educational Programme for Acquiring Knowledge and Skills in the Area of Interpersonal Skills.
Apart from licenses obtained from the National Council for Education of Montenegro, on 22nd October 2013 Examination Centre of Montenegro issued Certificate number 02-4235/2 which confirms that FDES meets conditions for organizing testing of key skills in the area of information technology.
In addition, pursuant to the Agreement as of 25th January 2012, the Faculty holds license from certified ECDL test centre to carry out testing of candidates, check level of knowledge in corresponding modules and carry out certification in ECDL index on passed modules for ECDL certificates.